Saturday, January 8, 2011

Starting the New Year with...Sugar Peonies!

I think it's pretty fitting that the New Year has begun, and I'm already making sugar peonies like crazy! Ever since I attended a fabulous flower class with Ron Ben Israel several years ago, and he demonstrated the gorgeous peony, I have been absolutely smitten with them. They truly are one of my favorite flowers, I will always enjoy making them, and you can be pretty sure they will always be a staple in designs and bouquets at Petalsweet. And while a New Year may call for new flowers...I'm afraid I'm awfully happy with continuing to use peonies...but hopefully in new ways, and then taking lots of new photos of them to share with you.

Here are a few photos from the other day when I was putting some peonies together. These large flowers were made with quite a few petals, and had pretty yellow stamens in the center.

Here are the pieces that make up the pistil:



The stamens added:



Lots of peony petals ready to be taped together into flowers:



The finished product...I just love these:



And a little bouquet I put together to top a small tier...something fresh and sweet to celebrate a good friend:



Thanks so much for stopping by...Happy New Year!

Copyright © 2011 by Jacqueline Butler of Petalsweet Cakes. Content of this blog (including text, photographs and layout) is the property of Jacqueline Butler - please respect copyright laws. If you want to link to my blog, or post any of my photos, please contact me - it would be great to have the opportunity to connect with you. Thank you!
Share/Bookmark

11 comments:

Flavia Galasso said...

This blog is beautiful..... how can I be a blogspot follower? Hugs, Flavia

Jacqueline Butler said...

Hi Flavia!
Thanks so much for your lovely comment and for visiting! I have a link on the left hand side of the page that where you can subscribe to my posts...it's just under my Facebook button and profile! Jacqueline

Elins Cards and other handscrafts said...

Your peony is gorgeous, Jacqueline.
And thanks for sharing ;o)
Hugs Elin xx

Unknown said...

I just took a class on Southern Flowers (sugarpaste) with Ron Ben Israel, because I was so inspired by you. Thank you for your Blog. Question: where do you get the stamens for the peonies shown on your site? I will be in San Diego next month on the 3rd at about 4 pm your time, do you offer any classes that day? Tracey

singapore florist said...

i really adore the finishing touch. it's flawless and would be a very nice Valentine day flowers gift in February.

Jacqueline Butler said...

Thank you so much everyone!

Tracey - you can buy stamens online...try NY Cake, Beryls, and sugarcraft.com. I'm sorry I do not have any San Diego classes scheduled for the first weekend of February as I am already booked for another commitment. Thank you! Jacqueline

Kia said...

Your flowers are just amazing and your work is so inspirational. You truly are a very talented artist. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Unknown said...

I love your work! You inspire me!

Anonymous said...

Your flowers are beautiful! What incredible talent to make something that looks so real!

carol said...

You are amazing! Where can I buy your peony cutters and other cutters? I'm learning hydrangea using your tutorials. Thank you so much - you are very generous with sharing your talent. Hope to take your class someday.

Jacqueline Butler said...

Hi Carol,
Thank you so much - sorry for the delay in responding! My peony cutters will be available soon - and I will post information here and on my FB page. Sunflower Sugar Art makes a lot of great cutters - you can find them on their website or check Global Sugar Art too. Jacqueline