Friday, October 30, 2009

A Week at Custom Cakes in Savannah!

In early October, I had the wonderful opportunity to visit Minette Rushing, of Custom Cakes in Savannah, Georgia. When I was at Custom Cakes last March for the class with Ron Ben-Israel, I was overwhelmed by Minette's gracious hospitality and her genuine encouragement and support of me building my cake design business. Since that class, Minette has become a wonderful business mentor, and a very dear friend.



Minette graciously offered to host me during one of their busiest weeks of the wedding season, to allow me to gain a better understanding of how a custom cake business is run...including daily operations, production schedules, staffing, consultations and working with customers, supplies, deliveries, marketing and networking! It was an amazing opportunity, and an absolutely invaluable week of learning for me.



I was also happily included in the preparation of some of the decorations for a few of the wedding cakes that week. I "helped" by working on sugarpaste flowers, leaves, petals and bow loops as best I could...although I really I spent most of my time asking questions and standing around in awe of the talent in the shop!

Ashlee's amazing groom's cakes:





Some of Kerry's beautiful cake details:





My workspace:



Rose petal cake topper:



Phalaenopsis orchids drying:



At the end of the week, Minette and I drove out to the beautiful Ford Plantation to deliver one of the wedding cakes. The parts of the huge property (1800 acres!) we drove through were stunning, and it was a wonderful treat to be there!

The Ford Plantation Main House:



The view from the back of the Main House...look at the weather rolling in! :



The gorgeous trees filled with moss:



The wedding cake we delivered:



The week passed by too quickly, and once all of the cakes were delivered, it was time for me to head back home! My many, many thanks to all of Minette's staff for allowing me to take part in their busy week and for (I'm sure) disrupting their streamlined production schedule.

And my heartfelt gratitude to Minette (and Jim!) for taking such wonderful care of me, and for sharing so much time and information with me.

Minette, I can't thank you enough for the fabulous week and the positive impact it had on me while I was there, and the tremendous impact it will have on my business!


Share/Bookmark

9 comments:

Audrey said...

Wow, what an amazing experience that must have been! Thanks for sharing it, as well as the great photos. Inspirational!

Rylan said...

What a great experience! I love your blog btw.

SweetThingsTO said...

wow - that's amazing! You are so lucky to have that experience and they were lucky to have you too!

Jennywenny said...

Wonderful! I just came across your blog via cakelava and I love your beautiful cakes and sugar flowers and cant wait to see whats next for you! It seems I'm only around the corner, and embarking on a similar thing, hopefully I'll bump into you soon!

www.sweet-sensations.com said...

She's the best, isn't she? Kept your hands off my boyfriend, didn't you? ;)

West Family said...

I just came across your blog, I love Minette! She did both my wedding and groom's cake back in 2005. She does amazing work and is so gracious! We had a 3d version of McGruff the Crime Dog and everyone at the reception was in awe of her work. Glad you got the chance to work with her.
MaryAnn

fusion cakes said...

glad to see your blog..indeed a very beautiful cake and sugar flowers..nice work.
ustomised cakes are the best options to go for special occasions..Lovely 1st birthday cake...
Customised Cakes Xperts.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! glad to see your blog..indeed a very beautiful cake and sugar flowers. very well designed by you. I loved it completely.

Kids birthday cakes in pune
Thanks!
Manish

Unknown said...

Hey,
I must say your cakes are very beautiful. You designed your cakes so artistically and intelligently. I really appreciate it. Very much so much real color you used. Thanks! for sharing you idea and mind creation with us.
1st birthday cakes Pune

Thanks!!