Monday, July 5, 2010

Modern Peony Cake

I traveled down a busy and bumpy road this past June...one filled with many twists and turns that also took me away from all the fun things that make up Petalsweet!

One of the biggest turns looked like this:



And the amount of time involved was staggering! There is nothing quite like moving, right? But all is finally settled and in place, and I am grateful to have time to create again!

I wanted to create a design that was fresh and modern, and I actually found these before I drew my sketch:



And I knew I wanted to use some of these:



This is the final result...two tiers covered with chocolate fondant, and decorated with over-sized sugar peonies and a scattering of leaves. Grosgrain ribbons finish the base of the tiers:



Thank you for stopping by!

Copyright © 2010 by Jacqueline Butler of Petalsweet Cakes. Content of this blog (including text, photographs and layout) is the property of Jacqueline Butler - please respect copyright laws. If you want to link to my blog, or post any of my photos, please contact me - it would be great to have the opportunity to connect with you. Thank you!
Share/Bookmark

12 comments:

Michael McCafferty said...

That looks like the most organized move ever!
Are you a Virgo?

Jennywenny said...

I just love this cake! And you're making me feel very nervous with your numbered boxes, I didnt even think of doing that! We'll just have lots of surprises at the other end, I think!

I hope you're properly settled in now and enjoying less of the marine layer!

Tina said...

Oh Jacqueline you really need to share how you make your lovely peonys!
There gorgeous! Love your cakes!
Come to Australia and teach me hehe

aritouch said...

Dear Jacqueline, your work of art is really gorgeous and I am so fond of your flowers that I
I would like to trying doing them.
How about Hydrangea? Here in Italy we have not so many suppliers for this kind of art. Would you let me know how to get your Hydrangea cutters and veiners set? I bought one from Sunflower sugar art however it not the same!
Any suggestion/help is most welcome! Many many compliments
Arianna - Rome

SweetThingsTO said...

I'm glad you are all settled at your new place. Look forward to your upcoming posts!

Bianka said...

As always a neat & beautiful job! What cutters do you use for the oversized peonies?

Sweet regards, Bianka

Jenniffer said...

This is SO pretty - I love it!!

Jacqueline Butler said...

Thank you all so much!!

@Michael - nope...a Scorpio...but a very organized one!

@Jenny - I'm afraid we have now been asked if we offer moving services! : ) I'm sure yours will go well!

@Tina - would love to get over to Australia to teach!! Any suggestions where I should look into a contact?

Arianna - I bought my Sunflower Sugar Art hydrangea cutter and veiner from Scott Woolley's site. His veiner is flat and you press it into the paste, rather than two pieces that press the petal into a particular shape. The cutter should be the same (two sizes). Email me if you have any questions - would be happy to help!!

@Bianka - I mix up several peony sets (Sunflower Sugar Art and CelCakes) and also use rose petal cutters for the outer petals.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I love your flowers they are so beatiful. Can you tell me if you sell your cutters (sorry for my english) expessly for the peony i love them and i wonna make them because you life so far and i can't take lessons from you.
Please tell me where i can buy them.


Greeting a big fan of you

Anonymous said...

hello,
i just gave a comment about where you got your cutters but i didn't read well that you have answerd it already. Sorry i didn't read well

greatings from holland

Movers Pittsburgh said...

Great concept of moving then. It's just like a flowers bloom.

Anonymous said...

Hi , Greetings from India.
I love your work specially fallen for peony. Want to learn it. Do you have video or are you conducting class for the same and where. Do you hold classes in Dubai. I am from India. I also love making sugar flowers and very inspired by your work. Thank you.
Rgds,
Shabana